Hydrangeas that bloom later in summer and bloom only on new growth:
- May be cut back now as well.
- You may choose to cut back the above types in fall or in the spring.
Older Hydrangea species that that bloom only on last year’s buds:
- Leave as many tips as possible only cutting back dead, weak, twisted, low lying branches and clean up further in the spring.
- If the brown heads bother you, cut the tips off and if they are mushy, cut them as soon as possible.
- When in doubt use the Older Hydrangea pruning method.